Blue Chip Invitational Tournament Rules
1) Each team will play a minimum of four games.
All BOYS preliminary round games will be two periods of twenty minutes
stopped time. Quarter Finals and all other playoff games are two periods
of fifteen minutes stopped time. 3) Pre-game warm-ups will be three minutes.
4) Each team should be ready to play 10 minutes PRIOR to their scheduled start times without any advanced warning
5) There will be no discussion on coaches’ ejections from games.
6) No equipment penalty will be awarded (ex. Curves, torn pants ….).
Minor penalties will be 2 minutes and Major penalties will be 5 minutes
for all 2x20 games. For any 2x15 playoff games, minor penalties will be
1.5 minutes and Major penalties will be 4 minutes.
8) A defaulted game result will be 2-0 for the winning team and 0–6 result to the losing team.
case of a regulation tie, we will have a shootout (best of 3 format). 3
players will be chosen by each team’s Coach at the end of
regulation. Should the tie persist, we will continue 1 player at a time
until the tie is broken (you must use different players than the ones
used already). A player cannot shoot a second shot until the entire team
roster (excluding goalies) has been used. The winning team will receive
2.0 points for a Shootout Win (SOW) and the losing team will receive 1
point for a Shootout Loss (SOL). See below under “Playoff Tie Games” for
rules in playoff games.
10) All eligible players must be entered on the first game score sheet (maximum 21 players including 3 goaltenders).
11) We will be playing with the no red line rule, therefore, 2 line passes will be permitted.
12) The touch-up offsides rule will be used.
team that does not present itself to a game will be subjected to a
disciplinary committee and subject to expulsion from the tournament.
an “act of god” happen (power failure, major injury …), after 45
minutes the game will be called and the score remain as is no matter how
long the game was running at the time of the “act of god”.
a difference of five goals or more exists at any time from the
10-minute mark of the 2nd period on, the remainder of the game will be
of running time. The time will stop again should the differential be
reduced to a 2 goal differential (ex. 5-3). 16) Each team is permitted the use of one, 30-second timeout per game
team must be prepared to furnish a proof of age for any of its players
upon the organizer’s request. Failure to do so will mean the expulsion
of the player from the tournament until such proof can be shown.
18) No Protests will be accepted.
19) Every team must dress a minimum of 6 players and 1 goaltender.
ten minute delay will be permitted to dress a second goaltender in the
event the regular goaltender is injured and the team has no dressed
goaltender on the bench.
21) Body contact will be permitted at the 99 and 98 age groups only.
player receiving a game misconduct is removed from the current game
plus one more game. There will be NO discussion regarding eliminating
the following game. Referee's calls are final.
player can only play for one team in one category during this
tournament weekend, failure to do so will disqualify the said player. A
player may play on multiple teams if in different age groups and age
appropriate. For example, a 98 can play on a 98 team and play up with
the 97's if they so choose. Must be on roster for first game and must
play 2 round robin games prior to playoffs in order to be eligible to
play in the playoff round.
player must participate in at least 2 (two) games during the round
robin portion of the tournament to be eligible for the playoff round.
25) Mouthpieces and neckguards are optional.
26) The ice will be resurfaced after every game.
The committee reserves itself the final word on the interpretation of the rules.
If 2 teams are tied in points, the following order applies to determine the ranking of teams:
2. Most games won
3. Best differential Formula = Goals for / (Goals For + Goals against)
4. Least goals against
5. Most goals for
6. Least Penalty minutes during the tournament
7. Flip of a coin
In the case where more than 2 teams are tied in points, the following order applies to determine the ranking of teams:
tied teams will go through each tie breaker until ONE team is
determined the winner; Example-if no team is determined ahead of all
other teams after Tie Breaker #1, then it will move on to Tie Breaker
1. Most games won
2. Best differential (Formula = Goals for / (Goals for + Goals against).
3. Least goals against
4. Most goals for
5. Least Penalty minutes during the tournament
6. Flip of a coin
Playoff Tie Games
If there is a tie game at the end of regulation time during the tournament playoffs, the following overtime rules will apply.
A) One, Five minute sudden-death period. Three on Three + Goaltender
B) Shoot-out, Three penalty shots to each team. Should tie persist, one penalty shot each until there is a winner.
Please read carefully
the referees at all times, should you have a situation you would like
to discuss concerning a particular individual, we have appointed a
referee in chief who is available to you, he does not have the power to
change a referees decision. However, we have advised our refereeing
staff to treat coaches with respect and they will expect the same in
return. They will not exercise any patience when being sworn, screamed
or gestured at.
The direction of The Blue Chip Invitational reserves itself the final word on the interpretation